Start your own business with no experience… the ultimate guide
Dire circumstances led me to start a business from home. You don’t need to have a perfectly ordered life, or experience, to start your own business and become an entrepreneur!
Losing someone you love isn’t just devastating to your heart, it can be very hard on your finances. Balancing the time needed to process and heal, with the fact that mortgages and bills wait for no one, is truly a cruel thing.
When I lost my daughter a few summers ago, everything changed.
I had planned to finish my bachelor’s in English that coming fall. With only 11 classes left to graduate, I was looking forward to that accomplishment.
However, that loss made it impossible to even consider commuting downtown and committing my brain to serious study on someone else’s timeline. The fear of what to do for work was overwhelming most days.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we are compensated at NO extra cost to you. Details are here.
Closed doors allowed me to start a business online
I ended up interviewing for a teacher’s assistant job in a third-grade classroom. The administrator was a good friend and offered me the job, reluctantly. Not because I wasn’t qualified, but it was clear I wasn’t ready to work yet, and my motivation was obviously driven by income fears.
Tearfully, I turned down the job — which had been a decent-paying offer. My husband put his arms around me and told me to just wait, and rest.
We would be okay dipping into savings for a while. I kept looking on and off for jobs I could do. Reluctantly, I perused the internet for work-at-home jobs. We all know where some of that crap can lead. But the thought of being my own boss made my soul feel hopeful again.
A home business that changed everything!
An online business opportunity caught my eye one day, and my heart pounded at the possibility that it could be legit. Caitlin Pyle’s Proofread Anywhere course looked like a great opportunity. I signed up for the free, 7-day introductory course to learn more.
I did my due diligence to make sure proofreading court transcripts is for real. It certainly is. One agency said to call back when I’d completed the course.
**NOTE: The transcript proofreading course isn’t for everyone! If you’re great at grammar and words, but prefer a wide range of job opportunities, the General Proofreading: Theory and Practice™ course would be PERFECT for you!
Caitlin Pyle has built a multi-million dollar company… and it all started with being a proofreader. With over 2 billion websites out there now, there’s a huge demand for proofreaders. Jump into the fantastic FREE workshop that will get you pumped about starting a proofreading business of your own!
Signing up for the actual course was a no-brainer. I needed money, and an agency had already told me to call them when I was done!
After five months of hard work, I passed the final exam. That accomplishment meant the world to me. I made it through that brutal first year of grief with my mind intact AND I learned how to start a business from home.
A true entrepreneur – my business was official!
That was the beginning of Sunflower Proofing LLC.
Starting my own proofreading business changed my life! I’ve never been happier — working for myself, on my own schedule… PLUS being able to work from ANYWHERE… literally, it’s been amazing.
Explore for yourself how a proofreading business could change your financial future also. DON’T FORGET. THERE’S A FREE ONE-HOUR WORKSHOP!
My proofreading business has led to Sunflower Media Solutions and this current blog, Healthy, Savvy & Wise. What a ride! I’d have never dreamed in a million years that I would end up making money online with a business of my own.
Caitlin’s excellent marketing modules gave me the know-how to make over 500 LinkedIn connections which led to many happy clients. Proofread Anywhere introduced me to the world of the work-anywhere life!
n online proofreader really can work anywhere — and here’s the proof. The above image is in Switzerland in June 2016, with my iPad and notes, after finishing up a small job for a client.
We visited my husband’s family before going to Italy for our honeymoon. I had a small job to do while we were there. A TRULY STUNNING HOME OFFICE… if I do say so myself! 😉
Make even more money with this at-home business
There are now dozens and dozens of work-from-home businesses that are legit and helping people earn incomes they desperately need. You may be in very difficult circumstances and want to explore your options.
I’ll be the first to tell you: No matter where you’re coming from, or what doors have closed to you, YOU CAN WORK FOR YOURSELF AND MAKE THE INCOME YOU NEED! I did it, and you can too.
Start a freelance writing business that can retire you from that 9 to 5!
A year after starting my proofreading business, I scaled my income beyond what I thought possible. By adding freelance writing to my business services, my income went to a whole other level.
Starting my own business in proofreading showed me how much I loved working for myself. And I didn’t want to stop there. My creative mind begged to be challenged, and I wanted to earn enough for financial freedom in the nearer future.
That’s when I discovered it. Freelance writing online can literally make you six figures and more! Think about it… Every business and website on the web needs written content. The need is absolutely endless.
Holly Johnson’s freelance writing course is literally the cream of the crop. Most of us [students] made our money back within the first few weeks. It is NOT hard to make a couple hundred bucks quickly!
Holly is a full-time professional freelance writer who brings in over $200K per year with her writing. You read that right… over $200 thousand per year.
She teaches you EVERYTHING you need to know to start your own business as a freelance writer and how to scale that income to six figures if that’s what your goal is.
If you’re curious to know more… definitely jump into her FREE workshop to see what you think!
This course was the ONLY reason I can now charge $300 and more for writing articles online. Here’s one of my $300 articles, right here.
Other work from home businesses
With the right mindset, no matter your background, entrepreneurship is within reach for anyone who wants it badly enough. My initial proofreading pursuit led to freelance writing for pay. I can make money writing for others as well as writing for my own blog!
Not everyone knows exactly what a blog is. And I won’t assume that you do either. Some people have heard the term many times, but have no idea what it’s all about, how they work, and what types of things you can actually blog about.
Here is a very basic and thorough guide all about blogs, why people decide to blog, and what kind might be right for you!
If earning an income with a blog interests you, Become a Blogger in Seven Easy Steps will show you, in beginner’s terms, how to get started.
Your challenge, if you choose to accept it: Get a piece of paper and write down what you’re good at, interested in, and things you’d like to add to your skill set.
If you’re not sure what direction to take yet, check out the fabulous work-at-home bundle below. There are dozens of resources for starting your own business from home!
The Work at Home Super Bundle contains 37 work-at-home resources to help you discover and start your dream business.
For a tiny investment of $47, you get these amazing tools, courses, and eBooks covering dozens of work from home businesses.
- 23 eBooks
- 1 Audiobook
- 9 eCourses
- 4 Printable Packs
The screenshot below gives you an idea of the insane value of this work from home resource bundle.
A blogging business can earn passive income
I originally started this blog as a place to house my writing samples for clients. A few months later, I discovered a course about how to make money just by blogging…a lot of money! The writer of this course has made over $300,000 to date on just ONE of the businesses she partners with.
Affiliate marketing is an excellent way to make a passive income with your blog or website by partnering with companies/services and promoting their products to your readers.
Thousands of companies (Amazon, Expedia, Chase Bank …) offer affiliate programs to bloggers and online businesses who then receive a commission for each sale made from their private link.
The key is to choose products and services you actually use and believe in. Your readers come first — you’d never want someone to promote a bad product to you, would you?
The Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing course by Michelle Gardner is a whopping 40 units of everything you’d need to know about becoming an affiliate marketer, and how to make a great income with it.
Michelle has a huge Facebook group that offers tons of support. There are opportunities to promote your blog and to get feedback on anything you need to help you succeed with growing your affiliate marketing income.
Marketing Your Business
One of the biggest components of entrepreneurial success is marketing. If no one knows you have a business, you’ll struggle to make the income you need. Marketing can be a bit intimidating, but all it takes is a little practice and a change of mindset to market yourself with confidence.
Social media marketing is by far the most popular and effective marketing strategy for online businesses. Creating Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook accounts for your business is a wise move.
I’ve been putting most of my effort into Pinterest these first two years since it’s a powerhouse for driving traffic to your blog or business.
The best Pinterest course I’ve found brings over 200K pageviews to the author’s site a month! I’ve learned valuable pinning strategies with this one simple course that shows you everything you need to know for Pinterest marketing, pinning, and analyzing your results.
As for Twitter, check out Twitter marketing expert, Madalyn Sklar. She has a podcast on just about anything you’d ever want to learn about marketing your blog or business with Twitter!
There is no better Facebook marketing teacher than Mari Smith. I’ve listened to dozens of her podcasts and seminars and still learn something new every time. Visit her website here, and your Facebook game will never be the same.
Final words on how to start your own business…
In today’s digital world, it has never been easier to start a business of your own and gain financial freedom! There is job security in your own skills. Believe in yourself, your talents, and your ability to learn new things, and you will knock ’em dead!
Blogging resources to jump start your blog traffic and income
- Amazon – I love affiliate marketing on Amazon. For the last 2 months, I’ve been earning over $7,000/month just from Amazon. Here are 2 super helpful Amazon ebooks that allowed me to leap frog my previous results.
- Cracking the Code on Amazon – This is for beginners and really covers the types of articles you should be writing to drive Amazon commissions It’s for beginners.
- Niche Post Conversion Strategies – Seriously, I think this is the best ebook/course I’ve ever taken. I can not recommend this enough. You will not find these tips anywhere else. It skyrocketed my sales on Amazon.
- PINTERESTING STRATEGIES: – Pinterest is one of the easiest and most effective ways to drive massive traffic to your blog, especially if you are just starting out. I generally get 140,000 to 180,000 pageviews a month from Pinterest. If you want a jump start on how to use this amazing platform, check out Carly’s course. It is simply awesome. She is so down to earth and straightforward, and you’ll see that in her writing. I LOVE this course (it was formerly an ebook, but now it’s new and improved.
- SEO – As you know, I’m hugely into SEO and it has been the key to my success. I generally get 300,000+ SEO pageviews per month, and this traffic converts much better than Pinterest and other social media channels (especially when it comes to affiliate marketing, products and email sign ups. I estimate that every pageview from organic traffic is worth at least 3x as every pageview from Pinterest! Yes, 3 times as much! And, it’s much steadier, more sustainable and more passive. Check out my 2 SEO books.
- Affiliate marketing – I love affiliate marketing and have been earning over $7,000/month just from affiliate marketing. I highly recommend Carly’s affiliate marketing course. It’s amazing and half the price of some of the bigger bloggers’ programs…and I think it’s much better, too.
- Email marketing – Learn from the master, Jennifer Maker. She has over 100,000 subscribers in around 2 years. She’s an incredible teacher. Her ListLove course is amazing. Or get started with her FREE email course here.
- Sponsored Posts – Sponsored posts can be a great way to supplement your income, especially during the first few years. Many just don’t even know where to get started or how much to charge or how to create a media kit or where to find the best sources. Well learn from a master, Tracie Fobes. She’s been doing this for 10 years! And, she charges well over $2,500 + per post. Her course comes complete with a media calculator and templates to set you up for success. Check out Sponsored Success here. If you just need the sponsored post calculator, you can purchase it a la carte here.
- Getting started/setting up your blog – If you’re a very beginner and need help in just setting up your site and getting everything set up, check out Tracie Richmond Fobes’ FREE intro course. She goes over all that critical stuff at the beginning that no one seems to cover, but everyone needs to know such as site structure, how to set up google analytics correctly and google search console, which plugins to use (and which to avoid). She is a wealth of information. (and she has may other courses that are soooo good).
Please Pin and Share to encourage others. Thank you!