Home Decor blog passive income report
Hi, it’s Debbie. Here’s my income report for November 2018 from my flooring blog. Please note that this was written months later, and I’m writing this retrospectively.
As you’ll see, virtually all of the income was from home decor. If you want to see my whole story on this journey and how I feel about income reports, you can read that here.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, we earn a commission at NO extra cost to you. Full details here.
What happened in november
Every November, my traffic goes down starting around 11/15-11/20 pending on when Thanksgiving is. It generally starts to decline the Friday before Thanksgiving as people start to travel and/or prepare for the big meal.
Due to the strong SEO that my site gets, traffic is pretty consistent throughout the year, except for 11/15 till 12/26…every year. On 12/26 it bounces back, goes down again from 12/30-1/1 and bounces back again around 1/2 or 1/3. So far, every January gets stronger than the previous year, and I hope that trend continues.
Why is this? Well of course it’s due to the holidays as people have other things on their mind. And, of course most people can’t do there hardwood floors during this time, especially if they have a Christmas tree.
So I expect this. It is normal.
November traffic was just 289,000 pageviews this month (compared to $321,000 in October).
But, I’m thrilled that despite the lower traffic rates during this time (vs October) and a slightly shorter month (vs October), my income grew by more than $1,300. This is due to both higher media rates on the traffic and selling more on Amazon (especially Black Friday – Cyber Monday).
I really need to prepare better for this holiday this year. That extra Amazon income was mostly lucky. People found my articles (via organic traffic) and then bought extra holiday gifts while they were there.
how I got to where I am (Dec 2016-October 2018).
To see the journey from Dec 2016-October 2018, check out my October income report.
At the beginning, most of blog income came from advertising revenue. I think I was making around $300-$400/month on affiliate marketing. I had taken a course called Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing which helped. It was a good course and the networking with the other members was awesome. But still I was a slow learner.
It took me around 11 months before I started to really get it.
If you look at my income in the early months, it was pretty flat, and that was pretty frustrating.
I had to learn that I really needed to write different types of posts. My articles were helpful for my target, and they did well on google and they solved my target’s questions and problems.
BUT, they weren’t articles with commercial intent. In other words they didn’t lead to affiliate sales. They got me ad income and not much more.
So I started shifting gears a bit based on what I noticed others were writing. They were writing them in different categories. I just needed to write them for mine…and give them time to simmer with google. That’s because SEO is the key with affiliate sales!
Solve a problem, write a well SEO optimized post, wait a few months and voila! Affiliate sales.
By the way, I now have 2 SEO ebooks to help you.
Then, I invested in one of the best ebooks I ever read. One of my smartest investments. And very reasonably priced (less than $50).
The ebook paid for itself within 2 weeks and I was then off to the races with Amazon and affiliate marketing.
In October I also took Carly’s Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers course and this was super helpful, too. I learned so many new ways of doing affiliate marketing both for my blog posts and for email marketing.
I’m so glad I took it as it really added to affiliate marketing skills. This is reflected in my record affiliate earnings for the month – over $7,500. And, it’s continued to guide my growth in affiliate marketing. It was less than half the price of the original course and I think probably twice as helpful. You can check it out here.
At this point in time, affiliate marketing accounted for 58% of my earnings and ads were only 40%, despite the fact that both were growing (I had a bit of all other). I like this ratio better. The less depend on ads, the better as it stabilizes your income more.
NovemBER ACTIVITIES AND PROGRESS
I spent most of my time working on my first SEO ebook. I was supposed to finish end of November and launch Dec 1st, but it took me much longer than expected. (I eventually launched on Dec 13th).
I also did a lot of SEO consultations (numbers not included as this was active work).
My 2 year non-compete on flooring expired, so I was excited and relieved. I was supposed to start gearing up for doing more flooring work but decided that could wait until January since very few people do their floors between Thanksgiving and New Years.
I was very thankful that I made it through this tough time period, though. I still had more debt to clear through, but I felt I made it through the hard parts.
So without further ado, let’s get to the specifics.
Income Report – NovembER 2018
- Amazon $3,774 a new record (vs $3,575 in October. (See: How I earn $7,000/month from Amazon Associates for some helpful tips). Because the last 4 or 5 months I’ve been at this higher level.
- RewardStyle $1,992 (a new record. This compares with $1,362 in October)
- Hometalk $1,356 (not a program I’d recommend as I’m now only making $150-$400 and it takes a lot of ongoing work).
- List Love and Pinterest Launch Plan $225
- Pinteresting Strategies and Affiliate Marketing for bloggers $75
- BigScoots $43 (for high grade hosting/speed for larger bloggers …if you have 100,000 + pageviews/month, you should be using this!)
- Shareasale $19
- ShopStyle $18
- ShortPixel $14 (for image compression to reduce site speed)
- Other $14
Total Affiliates $7,563 (a record)
Ads $5,208 (Monumetric). This was a record for me as RPMs increased due to holiday season (especially Black Friday to Cyber Monday)
Buy me a Coffee $328…and yes, I have over 1,200 coffees that people bought for me
All other $33
TOTAL REVENUE $13,131
- My expenses are all lopped together here as I renewed several domains and paid for some items for the year at once for discounts (and to reduce taxes for the following April). Expenses included hosting, domain name renewals, tailwind VA’s, photos and a few misc items. To see more detailed report on expenses, check my May 2019 income report.
TOTAL COSTS $734
NET PROFIT: $12,397
- Please note that the majority of my income is from Home Decor (not from blogging about blogging).
- Please note that this income is all from my blog. It does not include freelancing, design consultations, sponsored posts or any sort of active income or offline income.
- I’m in the process of compiling/filling in reports from Dec 2018 to-March 2019. For current reports, I will share my income reports with my email list.
ADDITIONAL INCOME REPORTS
- October 2018 ($11,107)
- December 2018 ($14,603)
- January 2019 ($12,606)
- February 2019 ($17,887)
- March 2019 ($24,165)
- April 2019 ($22,400)
- May 2019 ($22,288)
Blogging resources to jump start your blog traffic and income
- Amazon – I love affiliate marketing on Amazon. For the last 2 months, I’ve been earning over $7,000/month just from Amazon. Here are 2 super helpful Amazon ebooks that allowed me to leap frog my previous results.
- Cracking the Code on Amazon – This is for beginners and really covers the types of articles you should be writing to drive Amazon commissions It’s for beginners.
- Niche Post Conversion Strategies – Seriously, I think this is the best ebook/course I’ve ever taken. I can not recommend this enough. You will not find these tips anywhere else. It skyrocketed my sales on Amazon.
- PINTERESTING STRATEGIES: – Pinterest is one of the easiest and most effective ways to drive massive traffic to your blog, especially if you are just starting out. I generally get 140,000 to 180,000 pageviews a month from Pinterest. If you want a jump start on how to use this amazing platform, check out Carly’s course. It is simply awesome. She is so down to earth and straightforward, and you’ll see that in her writing. I LOVE this course (it was formerly an ebook, but now it’s new and improved.
- SEO – As you know, I’m hugely into SEO and it has been the key to my success. I generally get 300,000+ SEO pageviews per month, and this traffic converts much better than Pinterest and other social media channels (especially when it comes to affiliate marketing, products and email sign ups. I estimate that every pageview from organic traffic is worth at least 3x as every pageview from Pinterest! Yes, 3 times as much! And, it’s much steadier, more sustainable and more passive. Check out my 2 SEO books.
- Affiliate marketing – I love affiliate marketing and have been earning over $7,000/month just from affiliate marketing. I highly recommend Carly’s affiliate marketing course. It’s amazing and half the price of some of the bigger bloggers’ programs…and I think it’s much better, too.
- Email marketing – Learn from the master, Jennifer Maker. She has over 100,000 subscribers in around 2 years. She’s an incredible teacher. Her ListLove course is amazing. Or get started with her FREE email course here.
- Sponsored Posts – Sponsored posts can be a great way to supplement your income, especially during the first few years. Many just don’t even know where to get started or how much to charge or how to create a media kit or where to find the best sources. Well learn from a master, Tracie Fobes. She’s been doing this for 10 years! And, she charges well over $2,500 + per post. Her course comes complete with a media calculator and templates to set you up for success. Check out Sponsored Success here. If you just need the sponsored post calculator, you can purchase it a la carte here.
- Getting started/setting up your blog – If you’re a very beginner and need help in just setting up your site and getting everything set up, check out Tracie Richmond Fobes’ FREE intro course. She goes over all that critical stuff at the beginning that no one seems to cover, but everyone needs to know such as site structure, how to set up google analytics correctly and google search console, which plugins to use (and which to avoid). She is a wealth of information. (and she has may other courses that are soooo good).
Related blogging articles:
How I earned over $12,000 from my blog – Income Report NovemBER 2018 (Passive income report)