Home Decor blog passive income report
Here’s my income report for January 2019 from my flooring blog. Please note that this was written months later, and I’m writing this retrospectively.
January results were a bit disappointing after 3 consecutive growth months in a row. Net profit was down around $2,000 but in line with what I expected as ad rates decline and I had a product launch in December.
But all in all, I was still thrilled with the results, especially as I only made around $4,400 the previous January. S that’s progress.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, we earn a commission at NO extra cost to you. Full details here.
What happened in January
January tends to be a low month for me income-wise as RPMs for ads sharply decline. This year the decline was steeper vs the previous year. My traffic for the month was 373,000 pageviews (+42% vs December). Despite this, my ad income decreased – $1,300 (-28%).
This is one of the many reasons why you don’t want to be too dependent on just pageviews and ad income. Thankfully, I did well elsewhere and have been on a quest to diversify my income.
One of those ways to diversify was with my SEO ebook. Sales were lower in January (as I had a big launch in December), so I expected this. It was actually much higher than I expected, so I was very happy with the results.
how I got to where I am (Dec 2016-November 2018).
At the beginning, most of blog income came from advertising revenue. I think I was making around $300-$400/month on affiliate marketing. I had taken a course called Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing which helped. It was a good course and the networking with the other members was awesome. But still I was a slow learner.
It took me around 11 months before I started to really get it.
If you look at my income in the early months, it was pretty flat, and that was pretty frustrating.
I had to learn that I really needed to write different types of posts. My articles were helpful for my target, and they did well on google and they solved my target’s questions and problems.
BUT, they weren’t articles with commercial intent. In other words they didn’t lead to affiliate sales. They got me ad income and not much more.
So I started shifting gears a bit based on what I noticed others were writing. They were writing them in different categories. I just needed to write them for mine…and give them time to simmer with google. That’s because SEO is the key with affiliate sales!
Solve a problem, write a well SEO optimized post, wait a few months and voila! Affiliate sales.
By the way, I now have 2 SEO ebooks to help you.
Then, I invested in one of the best ebooks I ever read. One of my smartest investments. And very reasonably priced (less than $50).
The ebook paid for itself within 2 weeks and I was then off to the races with Amazon and affiliate marketing.
In October I also took Carly’s Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers course and this was super helpful, too. I learned so many new ways of doing affiliate marketing both for my blog posts and for email marketing.
I’m so glad I took it as it really added to affiliate marketing skills. This is reflected in my record affiliate earnings for the month – over $7,500. And, it’s continued to guide my growth in affiliate marketing. It was less than half the price of the original course and I think probably twice as helpful. You can check it out here.
At this point in time, affiliate marketing accounted for 58% of my earnings and ads were only 40%, despite the fact that both were growing (I had a bit of all other). I like this ratio better. The less depend on ads, the better as it stabilizes your income more.
January ACTIVITIES AND PROGRESS
I spent most of my time working on my 2nd SEO ebook and then launching. I spend a bit more on VA help so I could focus on cranking this one out.
The first book too me 2 months to do because I had no clue what I was doing. The 2nd one went much faster and I did it in 1 month (and launched on Feb 1st).
The 2 ebooks go together, even though they are written out of order. This 2nd ebook covers on-page SEO and should be read first. The original book is for backlinks/off page SEO and should be read 2nd.
These each account for 50% of your SEO so you need both pieces of he puzzle.
I was able to diversify my income further, so for January the breakout was as follows:
- 57% Affiliate income
- 25% Ad revenue
- 17% Product income (net after taking out affiliate commissions)
- 1% all other
So without further ado, let’s get to the specifics.
Income Report – January 2019
- Amazon $3,749 (slightly higher vs December…a nice surprise since spending is usually lower in January. (See: How I earn $7,000/month from Amazon Associates for some helpful tips). Because the last 4 or 5 months I’ve been at this higher level.
- RewardStyle $1,784 (up $259 vs November)
- Hometalk $962 (not a program I’d recommend as I’m now only making $150-$400 and it takes a lot of ongoing work).
- Pinteresting Strategies and Affiliate Marketing for bloggers $330
- List Love and Pinterest Launch Plan $314
- BigScoots $166 (for high grade hosting/speed for larger bloggers …if you have 100,000 + pageviews/month, you should be using this!)
- Cracking the code on Amazon $40
- Shareasale $16 (tailwind)
- ShortPixel $12 (for image compression to reduce site speed)
- ShopStyle $13
- Other $115
Total Affiliates $7,501 (up around $800 vs December)
Ads $3,296 (Monumetric). Down around $1,300 as RPMs take a major hit in January. (Pageview were up +42%)
- SEO ebook (Easy Backlinks for SEO) $3,354
- Home Decor ebooks $12
Total Products $3,366
Buy me a Coffee $69…and yes, I have over 1,200 coffees that people bought for me
TOTAL REVENUE $14,232
- SEO ebooks commissions and paypal fees $1,078 (smart investment…as they sell more, I earn more)
- Virtual Assistants $350 (started to gradually ramp this up)
- Hosting (BigScoots) $93…worth every penny
- Wealthy Affiliates $30 (for keyword finder and additional affiliate marketing and SEO training)
- Additional Paypal fees $28 (for some affiliate programs -annoying)
- Tailwind $25 (base + smart loop)
- Sendowl $15 (for selling my SEO books)
- Easy Product Displays $5 (for Amazon)
Affiliate/Paypal expenses for SEO ebook $2,471. This means that the net profit for the ebook was only 3,747 (which is still outstanding)
TOTAL COSTS $1,626
NET PROFIT: $12,606 (+`around $2,000 lower than December and a new record)
- Please note that the majority of my income is from Home Decor (not from blogging about blogging).
- Please note that this income is all from my blog. It does not include freelancing, design consultations, sponsored posts or any sort of active income or offline income.
- I’m in the process of compiling/filling in reports from Feb 2019 to-March 2019. For current reports, I will share my income reports with my email list.
ADDITIONAL INCOME REPORTS
- October 2018 ($11,107)
- November 2018 ($12,397)
- December 2018 ($14,603)
- January 2019 ($12,606)
- February 2019 ($17,887)
- March 2019 ($24,165)
- April 2019 ($22,400)
- May 2019 ($22,288)
Blogging resources to jump start your blog traffic and income
- Amazon – I love affiliate marketing on Amazon. For the last 2 months, I’ve been earning over $7,000/month just from Amazon. Here are 2 super helpful Amazon ebooks that allowed me to leap frog my previous results.
- Cracking the Code on Amazon – This is for beginners and really covers the types of articles you should be writing to drive Amazon commissions It’s for beginners.
- Niche Post Conversion Strategies – Seriously, I think this is the best ebook/course I’ve ever taken. I can not recommend this enough. You will not find these tips anywhere else. It skyrocketed my sales on Amazon.
- PINTERESTING STRATEGIES: – Pinterest is one of the easiest and most effective ways to drive massive traffic to your blog, especially if you are just starting out. I generally get 140,000 to 180,000 pageviews a month from Pinterest. If you want a jump start on how to use this amazing platform, check out Carly’s course. It is simply awesome. She is so down to earth and straightforward, and you’ll see that in her writing. I LOVE this course (it was formerly an ebook, but now it’s new and improved.
- SEO – As you know, I’m hugely into SEO and it has been the key to my success. I generally get 300,000+ SEO pageviews per month, and this traffic converts much better than Pinterest and other social media channels (especially when it comes to affiliate marketing, products and email sign ups. I estimate that every pageview from organic traffic is worth at least 3x as every pageview from Pinterest! Yes, 3 times as much! And, it’s much steadier, more sustainable and more passive. Check out my 2 SEO books.
- Affiliate marketing – I love affiliate marketing and have been earning over $7,000/month just from affiliate marketing. I highly recommend Carly’s affiliate marketing course. It’s amazing and half the price of some of the bigger bloggers’ programs…and I think it’s much better, too.
- Email marketing – Learn from the master, Jennifer Maker. She has over 100,000 subscribers in around 2 years. She’s an incredible teacher. Her ListLove course is amazing. Or get started with her FREE email course here.
- Sponsored Posts – Sponsored posts can be a great way to supplement your income, especially during the first few years. Many just don’t even know where to get started or how much to charge or how to create a media kit or where to find the best sources. Well learn from a master, Tracie Fobes. She’s been doing this for 10 years! And, she charges well over $2,500 + per post. Her course comes complete with a media calculator and templates to set you up for success. Check out Sponsored Success here. If you just need the sponsored post calculator, you can purchase it a la carte here.
- Getting started/setting up your blog – If you’re a very beginner and need help in just setting up your site and getting everything set up, check out Tracie Richmond Fobes’ FREE intro course. She goes over all that critical stuff at the beginning that no one seems to cover, but everyone needs to know such as site structure, how to set up google analytics correctly and google search console, which plugins to use (and which to avoid). She is a wealth of information. (and she has may other courses that are soooo good).
Related blogging articles:
How I earned over $12,000 from my blog – Income Report January 2019 (Passive income report)