Painless Ways to Lose Weight
If you need to lose a few pounds (or maybe more than a few, like me), I’ve got some amazingly easy ways for you to lose weight without making drastic changes or having a will of iron. That’s good news… right? I think so!
Too many people search for that ever-elusive perfect diet to lose weight fast, and never get started with the simple things they can do NOW to get healthier, and shed a few pounds in the process. Keep reading, and I’ll show you why having the willpower to lose weight isn’t necessary.
13 Simple Weight Loss Tips Anyone Can Do
(1) Drink More Water to Lose Weight
I know you’ve heard this one, but let me emphasize the simplicity of this first weight loss tip, and why it’s number one on the list. Yes, it’ll make you pee more often, but read on for the benefits.
I can’t think of anything easier to do than this one little change. It doesn’t even take willpower to do it. My personal goal is drinking around 2 liters of water per day, and so far, it’s going well.
I’m definitely more hydrated. I also think the scale is moving more regularly (in the right direction ;))than it was a few weeks ago. To make it more flavorful, I put slices of lemon or orange in the bottle! Cucumber is delicious also.
Weight Loss Advantages of Drinking Water
- Drinking plenty of water increases the amount of calories we burn even when we’re not moving
- Try for at least 1.5 liters per day for improvement in calorie burn; add ice to give metabolism a little extra boost
- Staying hydrated helps keep your muscles working at optimal levels while you exercise
- Studies show that overweight people who added 1-1.5 liters of water to their day for a few weeks had significant body fat and waistline reduction
- Drinking more water is a great way to subtract sugary drinks and juices from your diet, which further cuts weight loss
(2) Eat More Eggs
Adding some extra protein to your diet can help build muscle and it can replace sugary breakfast cereals for a healthier morning alternative.
- Makes you feel more satisfied so you stay fuller for longer periods
- Speeds up metabolism
- Helps build muscle (which burns the fat around it)
- Burns more calories
(3) Changing Your Cereal is a Seriously Easy Weight Loss Tip to Follow
Change your cereal choices and it will make a big difference in your calorie and sugar intake. Try a few cereals without a lot of added sugar such as Grape Nuts, Wheat Chex, Heritage Flakes, Uncle Sams, and good old oatmeal, among others.
Look at your labels, and watch for excessive carbs with little fiber, or high sugar content. Avoid those cereals and make healthier choices.
(4) Get More Sleep to Lower Cravings
Research shows that too little sleep is especially bad for our waistlines. Lack of sleep can cause the following negative effects:
- Adds to fatigue which makes it hard to exercise
- It increases some hormones that regulate hunger
- Sleep deprivation can increase our appetite for carbs (as well as overall appetite)
(5) Lower Your Stress
Persistent stress is an enemy to weight loss. Find time at the beginning or end of each day to unwind. Just a small amount of time dedicated to a relaxing yoga sequence, reading a favorite book, breathing deeply and closing your eyes, or journaling your concerns can make a big difference! Lowering stress is one of those easy ways to lose weight.
If you’ve never tried journaling, I highly recommend it — writing has a way of transferring concerns or frustration from your mind to the paper. Bullet journals are especially fun.
Stress effects weight loss in the following ways:
- It elevates the stress hormone called cortisol which has big negative impacts on metabolism
- Stress affects our sleep, and as we saw in #4, lack of sleep increases appetite
- Stress also increases cravings for sugar and carbs which are high calorie comfort foods
(6) Cutting Out Some of Your Sugar Will Guarantee Weight Loss
Now, I’m not telling you to stop all sugar (although if you’re able to, that’s a guaranteed weight loss tip!). But maybe you can find ways to sneak in some Stevia, Truvia, Monkfruit.
Try some in your coffee, baked goods, or any other place where you find yourself using a good bit of white sugar or honey, this is a great change for losing weight.
(7) Add 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil to Your Day
Coconut oil is a fabulous, healthy fat that’s a fast easy way to lose weight! The chemical makeup of it is very different from most fats since it’s a medium chain fatty acid (as opposed to long chain), which speeds metabolism.
If you don’t like the taste of coconut, get the type that says “refined” on the package for a neutral flavor.
(8) Swap Out Some of Your Pasta to Cut Some Serious Calories
This is an easy tip for losing weight without depriving yourself of ALL pasta. If you substitute half of your normal spaghetti or linguine with zucchini or spaghetti squash “noodles”, you’ll add some great nutrients and cut out a ton of carbs and calories.
That makes for a very weight-friendly pasta meal! If you’re a frequent pasta eater, challenge yourself to eat only “veggie noodles” a few times a month and watch how many calories you save. You can find veggie noodle tools almost anywhere.
(9) Brush Your Teeth After Dinner to Reduce Calories at Night
This is one of those no-brainer weight loss tips. If you brush your teeth right after dinner (or any other meals), you’ll most likely cut down on nightly snacking or dessert eating.
Very few things would taste good after having toothpaste in your mouth — just another one of those little tricks that doesn’t take much effort, but if you’ll do it at least half of the week, you’ll save on some serious calories!
(10) Incorporate More Movement Into Your Day or Evening
I’m not telling you to become a runner or weight lifter here. But, if you sit for long periods of time at a desk, or you’re not exercising regularly, shoot for adding several movements into your day — short burst can go a long way. Here are several easy ways to burn more calories by moving a little bit more:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator (we’ve all heard this one — but actually do it!)
- Do some lunges as you walk to the kitchen, around your house, or in the yard (walking lunges — where you stretch your front leg out in front, with foot extended past the knee, and lower yourself down with each step)
- Challenge yourself to do a 20-second plank each time you go for a bathroom break (at home…that would be weird at work)
- At work, stand and stretch regularly if you sit a lot — try balancing on one foot, for as long as you’re able, while tightening your core
- Reserve 10 minutes of every lunch break and go for a short walk outside your building (or inside if weather’s bad), or walk up a couple flights of stairs
- Take an evening walk around the block and really engage your core and glute muscles with each step — even better if you incorporate brisk arm movement with a slight twist to each side for working your side muscles (attack that muffin top!)
(11) Dilute That Juice and Ditch the Soda
DO NOT drink your calories! This is possibly the fastest way to shed some pounds…seriously. If you have a soda or juice addiction, first of all, start adding some of that water in that we talked about in #1. It will help you lose weight.
Then, try this drink instead of straight juice or soda. Mix 1/2 cup (or less if you can) of your favorite juice with club soda and plenty of ice. And if you’re really desperate for a bigger sugar taste, add a couple drops of Stevia.
Another great substitute for soda and juice is what I call “tea juice”. Take your favorite berry or citrus flavored tea, and brew 3 strong cups of it — I use about 6-8 teabags.
Once it has steeped for 1/2 an hour, pour into a pitcher, add cold water, and Stevia or favorite low-calorie sweetener to taste. You’ll never think about soda again.
(12) Don’t Rely on Willpower to Lose Weight
If you wait for the willpower to exercise for an hour a day, or cut out all desserts and sugar… you may be waiting a long time to make some healthy changes!
We often sabotage our ability to step forward and build some easy new habits because we want to implement huge change. An easier way to lose weight is by just getting started. Make one small change per week — or a couple, if you can.
(13) Secret Peanut Butter Trick
Peanut butter isn’t bad for you, but certain brands can be really high in sugar. When you add the sugar content to the high fat, you’re going to pack on the pounds if you’re a real peanut butter fanatic.
For a great peanut butter substitute, the newest craze is peanut butter powder. It’s actually pretty good!
Losing Weight Doesn’t Have to Be a Losing Battle
There you have it. Some easy tips for guaranteed weight loss if you simply make a few healthy choices at a time. Shed the guilt, and stop waiting on willpower to save you. Start implementing these small changes into your days and weeks, and watch your body change for the better.
The very best thing about these 13 weight loss tips is they aren’t fancy, don’t cost a lot of money, and they are lifestyle changes for the better. No crazy, fad diets here — just good old fashioned healthy habits.
Please Pin and Share!