In this post we’ll cover that often-forgotten space … the laundry room.
If it’s anything like mine, it may have even become a dumping ground for non-laundry items. This is an easy trap to fall into since it’s a room we often ignore until we need it.
Implement these laundry room organization and decluttering hacks, and laundry day could end up being your favorite chore day. Too far? Maybe…
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, we receive a commission at NO extra cost to you. Full disclaimer here.
Before we start organizing and finding good ways to use space in the laundry room, let’s take a few minutes to clean out the junk. A quick declutter will be like a breath of fresh air, and you’ll look forward to the organizing part even more.
Five quick decluttering ideas for your laundry room:
- Gather all trash, lint, and used dryer sheets that are floating around and toss them. If you don’t have a good trash can for the laundry area, grab a space-saving can like this slim little step-open model to keep the area clean.
- If you have a pile of socks with no matches, either toss them, stash the hopeful ones in a little basket as they wait for reuniting, or roll a few of them into a large ball for a cat or dog toy.
- Take old towels, rags, and forgotten/unwanted linens and find them a home. Toss the smelly ones, cut them up for cleaning and dusting, and fold and stash the ones you’re keeping.
- Discard old detergent bottles, bleach containers, and boxes with two dryer sheets in them. Combine with the new bottles & boxes.
- If you’re holding onto old brooms with loose parts, cracked dust pans, or heads from the mop you tossed 3 years ago — toss them all! And for Pete’s sake, get a decent broom/dustpan set that works.
Ten amazing laundry room organization hacks
Doing the laundry is high on the list of dreaded chores. I sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with a messy and cluttered laundry space. Many utility areas are small, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy an organized laundry room that’s fully functional and nice to work in.
Lack of storage is the likely culprit of any messy laundry room. So let’s tackle some of those problem areas that will transform your utility room into an organized laundry area you can really appreciate.
**HINT: You can never go wrong with a fresh coat of paint for a simple and cheap makeover.
Laundry room shelf and hanging space:
- If you have front-loading machines side by side, this over-the-washer wire shelf is perfect. Your giant bottles of detergent can hang over slightly so you can fill the cup without lifting the entire jug. To avoid spills, try these!
- Consider hanging another wire shelf a few feet above that one to hang clothes that need to air dry.
- For easier access for hanging clothes, this laundry room organization gadget will thrill you. It takes up no wall space at all!
- If there’s no room for shelving, try wire wall organizers for detergents, fabric softeners, bleach, etc. These low-profile wall racks are fantastic for small spaces. This over-the-door laundry room organizer is the perfect solution if you don’t want holes in your wall!
Extra laundry room storage for better organization:
- Corral your cleaning tools behind the door so you’ll always have the broom or mop handy. This model is sturdy and space efficient!
- If you prefer an option for hanging tools that requires no holes in the wall, I absolutely love these single hangers that grip tightly!
- For a total makeover of your larger laundry room space, this farmhouse cabinet shelving unit with sliding barn door style is absolutely gorgeous. Talk about making your laundry room a luxurious and enjoyable space… this one takes the cake.
- And everyone needs one of these to tame the thousands of plastic grocery sacks that seem to breed like rabbits.
- This sorter will make laundry day much easier. It has 3 removable sorting bags on a sturdy rolling cart for ultra convenience.
- If you prefer powdered laundry detergent, this beautiful glass decanter jar in a two gallon size allows you to see how much detergent you have left. Never be caught off-guard again with an empty detergent box!
I hope these hacks and tips for a more organized laundry room have inspired you to give your laundry area an easy makeover.
It’s amazing what a little decluttering and laundry room organization can do for your laundry day mindset! Let me know what tips you liked best, and add some of your own, too.
PLEASE PIN AND SHARE!